At daycare he had a new shirt on when I picked him up because he had "spit up" his food on his shirt. I thought nothing of that. Then around 5:00 when we were packing up the car to head to DeWitt, I noticed Maddox started coughing/gagging a little. I thought he had something in his mouth but he started throwing up...a lot. We decided we were staying home. Around 7:00 he threw up again two times in a row. We had brought his old baby tub in the living room to catch it. I called the First Nurse line and they said to wait for an hour before nursing him and only nurse a little bit at a time and also to give him pedialyte. And of course told me to watch for dehydration. Mitch went on a Walmart run for Pedialyte and a rocking chair. (seriously, I can't believe we've gone this long without a rocking chair and I wasnt about to go a few days with a sick baby and not be able to rock him). That was it for the night, he nursed fine and slept "okay."
In the morning, it was diahrrea. We went through 2 pairs of pants and onesies by 8:00. Then I made the mistake of trying to give him his antibiotic, Augmenten. It came up right away and poor Mitch required a shower after this one.
Sleepy...

This is our "sick" baby


2:00 rolls around and Maddox hadn't had any wet diapers - maybe there was pee in one of his morning dirty diapers and we couldn't tell, but it had been at least 6 hours which I had been instructed to watch for. So I called the First Nurse line again. Maddox was really in good spirits for being sick. He was in a good mood, but sleeping a lot more than normal. At this point he was just laying around on Mitch. First Nurse said we needed to take him to the hospital to get fluids in him before he became overly dehydrated. His doctor's office was closed since it was Saturday afternoon.
I hesitated - he just didn't look like he needed to go to the ER. But we decided if we were told to go then we should probably go before things get worse and we regretted hesitating. We felt silly being in the ER since Maddox was flirting with the receptionist and nurse, but that's just how he is - even if he's sick. Luckily there was absolutely no wait. Our doctor was super nice and said he looked "haggard" and his mouth looked a little dry but not completely dry. He said his eyes and soft spot looked fine (not sunken in) so it didn't look like he needed fluids. He recommended giving as much pedialyte as possible and just skipping breastfeeding for a while. He also said to wait until the morning to try the Augmenten again. He checked his ears and the infection is cleared.
So we left. I was ashamed to be "one of those parents" who brings their kid to the ER when not needed...but it wasn't my fault! They made me. ;o) And Mitch pointed out that we did get a lot of good info and reassurance from the doctor...which is well worth the hefty bill we will be getting, right? ha!
I hesitated - he just didn't look like he needed to go to the ER. But we decided if we were told to go then we should probably go before things get worse and we regretted hesitating. We felt silly being in the ER since Maddox was flirting with the receptionist and nurse, but that's just how he is - even if he's sick. Luckily there was absolutely no wait. Our doctor was super nice and said he looked "haggard" and his mouth looked a little dry but not completely dry. He said his eyes and soft spot looked fine (not sunken in) so it didn't look like he needed fluids. He recommended giving as much pedialyte as possible and just skipping breastfeeding for a while. He also said to wait until the morning to try the Augmenten again. He checked his ears and the infection is cleared.
So we left. I was ashamed to be "one of those parents" who brings their kid to the ER when not needed...but it wasn't my fault! They made me. ;o) And Mitch pointed out that we did get a lot of good info and reassurance from the doctor...which is well worth the hefty bill we will be getting, right? ha!
"Haha - I can't believe you fools brought me to the ER."

We had a sleepy baby the rest of the day, but no more sickness. He had a lot of pedialyte (which he loves) and I didn't nurse him until bedtime. He really didn't have a wet diaper until this morning so he was pretty dried up yesterday!
Anyway he is back to his normal self today! We rearranged the living room which he was all about. He was exploring like crazy.
1st side of the new living room...

2nd side of the new living room...

Tuckered out from moving all of the furniture and loving the new rocking chair

No comments:
Post a Comment